Friday, August 27, 2010

Sunset Loop On Mt. Elden

My last two runs have been up on Mt. Elden starting at the Schultz Tank area. The loop I have been following here has been to run up the Sunset trail and take a right once you hit Brook Bank and continue to loop back to the starting point using the Little Gnarly trail once you hit the Dry Lake Hills area. This loop totals up to about 6 miles if not a smidgen more. 

1st Attempt of the Week: 1hr 13min

2nd Attempt of the Week: 57:16min

I have ran this loop frequently before and had always hoped to get it down to under an hour as the first 1.5 miles are a (for me) brutal uphill battle. To be able to maintain an under 10 minute average mile at around 9000 feet with plenty of uphill sections is a great start for me especially with having had so much trouble with my knee.

I have felt like over the past few weeks I have made significant progress with my injuries using one mentality...go as fast and steep as I possibly can. For some reason flat and slow running would cause more problems with my knee tightening up than going straight up and straight down did. I am not sure if this is due to differences in bio mechanics while running at different angle/speeds or if running steep/fast terrain is training muscle groups differently and allowing for better overall leg function leading to a healthier knee. Either way, I am running again and that is all I could ask for.

Two more weeks til Imogene!!

1 comment:

  1. Great job! Good running on a great loop. Looks like things are shaping up well for you for Imogene! Go get 'em!

    ReplyDelete