Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Weatherford Trail

Sunday I did a slightly longer training run by starting at Schultz tank and going up the weatherfod trail up to Doyle saddle which ends up being a 12 mile trip in total. This was the first early morning run (started at 6:15am) of many that I plan to do to get my internal clock ready to perform for the Imogene Pass Run start time of 7:00am. Completed the run in about 3.5hours, much longer than I had hoped for but for my first major run at this length I will take what I can get.

The temps at this early hour were amazing and it was quite a beautiful run. Contrary to what I have heard, this trail is untouched by the recent Schultz fire. the fire comes to the trail during the first mile but it looks more like a controlled burn than a wildfire and the forest should recover quickly.

This is the first of many green meadows along the way, The first couple of miles before this point felt like the hardest part of the whole trail even thought the elevation is around '2000 lower than the saddle above. Maybe its was just getting warmed up that was the problem.





There is something about single track trails cutting through the mountains that attracts me to running.








Doyle saddle sits at around 10,800 feet and the weatherford trail that you start on sits at 8000 feet.
The inner basin in all of its glory

No comments:

Post a Comment